Accommodation In Prague : Hotels in Prague  HOMEPAGE

PRAGUE CASTLE - PRAGUE GUIDE - PLACES OF INTEREST

Prague Castle (Prazsky hrad)
Prague Castle (Prazsky hrad)

Prague Castle (Prazsky hrad)

Prague Castle was founded on a strategic place in eighties of the 9th century by a duke of the dynasty of Premyslid. It was often rebuilt in the following centuries. In 1918 Prague Castle became a residing place of Czechoslovak president. During the first republic period when T.G.Masaryk was the president, Josip Plecnik, an architect of consequence, renovated the Castle. Nowadays in the area of Prague Castle there are various cultural events and expositions (in Imperial Stable, Riding School and Burgrave's House), a voluminous collection of precious pieces of art is in the Picture Gallery. Guards at the Castle gates change every hour from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., with fanfares and banners exchange at noon.
You can lodge right in the neighbourhood of the Castle in Hotel Neruda ****, Prague.



Royal Palace (Kralovsky palac)
Royal Palace (Kralovsky palac)

Royal Palace (Kralovsky palac)

It was a residence of Czech kings from the end of the 9th century. There are preserved parts of Sobeslav Palace in Roman style and chambers in Gothic in its underground. In the Palace exhibitions take place. Vladislavsky hall was built by Benedikt Rejt at the end of the 15th century. In this famous hall important social events of king’s court took place such as tournaments etc. Beside the Vladislavsky hall you will find Meeting Room, Wing of Ludvik and a chamber of Czech Office. Entry to the Royal Palace is included in a standard ticket of Prague Castle – route A (St. Vitus cathedral, Old Royal Palace, St. George Basilica, the Powder Tower, Golden Lane/Daliborka Tower), B and C.


St. George's Convent (Klaster svateho Jiri)
St. George's Convent (Klaster svateho Jiri)

St. George's Convent (Klaster svateho Jiri)

St. George Basilica, built in twenties of the 10th century in Romanesque style, belongs to architectonic treasures of Prague Castle. It was founded by duke Vratislav I. Members of Premyslid dynasty are entombed here. The convent was reconstructed in the 20th century and reopened in 1976. At present you will find there an extensive exhibition of the National Gallery that involves a collection of Czech art from Gothic to Baroque styles including collections from a period of reign of Rudolf II.


St. Vitus cathedral (Katedrala svateho Vita)
St. Vitus cathedral (Katedrala svateho Vita)


St. Vitus cathedral (Katedrala svateho Vita)
St. Vitus cathedral (Katedrala svateho Vita)

St. Vitus cathedral (Katedrala svateho Vita)

Emperor Charles IV. founded the cathedral in 1344 at a place where Roman rotunda once stood. The cathedral was consecrated to patron saints of Czech lands: St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Vojtech. The cathedral was built in Gothic style, the emperor was inspired by French Gothic, especially by Saint Chapel in Paris. That was the reason why Charles IV. invited French constructor Mathias Arras who led the building till 1352. Then a well known architect and sculptor Petr Parler replaced him until 1399. After a brake during turbulent times of Czech history the building of the cathedral went on in the course of the following six centuries. The huge architectonic masterpiece was finished in 1929 also thanks to assistance of important Czech artists. The tombs of Czech sovereigns are in the underground of the cathedral. Inside a richly decorated St. Wenceslas Chapel the Bohemian crown jewels are deposited in a coronation chamber.


Imperial Stable (Kralovska konirna)
Imperial Stable (Kralovska konirna)

Imperial Stable (Kralovska konirna)

Imperial Stable lies on a ground floor of the northern annex. Presently is serves for exhibitions.


Golden Lane (Zlata ulicka)
Golden Lane (Zlata ulicka)

Golden Lane (Zlata ulicka)

Every visitor must be enchanted by its quaint little houses that were built in late Gothic fortification in the 16th century. Even Franz Kafka lived there in the house No. 22. Craftsmen working in the Castle used to inhabit the street from the 16th century. Nowadays little shops with souvenirs and crafts occupy the houses. The standard ticket for the Castle includes entrance to the Golden Lane, too.


Daliborka Tower
Daliborka Tower

Daliborka Tower

Its constructor Benedikt Rejt built the tower as part of the Castle’s fortifications in 1496. From 1781 it was used as a prison. The tower is called after its first prisoner Dalibor of Kozojedy. Being confined he used to play the violin. He played so wistfully that townsmen used to send him food.


Powder Tower or Mihulka (Prasna vez)
Powder Tower or Mihulka (Prasna vez)

Powder Tower or Mihulka (Prasna vez)

This massive tower was constructed in the fortification of Prague Castle in the 15th century according to design of Benedikt Rejt. Later on the tower was used as a gunpowder store, which explains the origin of its name “Powder Tower”. The other part “Mihulka” came into being probably in the 19th century. In times of Rudolf II. an alchemistic workroom was in here. From 1982 visitors of the tower have an opportunity to admire a permanent exhibition of alchemy, medieval arts and crafts.


 

Prague Castle Gallery (Obrazarna Prazskeho hradu)

Its rooms are situated in the annex that was originally used as stables. At the moment the Picture Gallery involves excellent pieces of art from collections of Rudolf II. such as painings by Tontoretto, Tizian or Rubens.



Lobkovicz Palace (Lobkoviczky palac)
Lobkovicz Palace (Lobkoviczky palac)

Lobkovicz Palace (Lobkoviczky palac)

Krajir of Krajek let built this palace complex in Renaissance style in the 16th century. The palace belongs to the National Museum from 1983 and there are stored Czech national treasures including a copy of Bohemian coronation jewels.


Royal Gardens (Kralovske zahrady) and Ball Games House (Micovna)
Royal Gardens (Kralovske zahrady) and Ball Games House (Micovna)

Royal Gardens (Kralovske zahrady) and Ball Games House (Micovna)

Royal Gardens were founded in 1534. Their opening is every day at 10 a.m. accompanied by sounds of fanfare coming from the Hartig Music Pavilion. The gardens offer an opportunity for calm walks, there you can admire also beautiful statues. The Ball Games House (Micovna) is inside the gardens’ area, a building in Renaissance style decorated by graffito and frescos on allegoric themes. The Ball Games House is used for concerts and exhibitions. It’s open in summer only.


Queen Anna’s Royal Summer Palace or Belvedere (Letohradek kralovny Anny, Kralovsky letohradek)
Queen Anna’s Royal Summer Palace or Belvedere (Letohradek kralovny Anny, Kralovsky letohradek)

Queen Anna’s Royal Summer Palace or Belvedere (Letohradek kralovny Anny, Kralovsky letohradek)

This glorious building came into being thanks to emperor Ferdinand I. in the 16th century. Built on a platform, the summer palace offers a nice view of Prague. Its architects were Paolo della Stella, other Italian masters and also Bonifac Wohlmut. The famous Singing Fountain, created by T. Jaros in the 16th century, is in front of the house. If you bend under the fountain, you will hear bells instead of sounds of falling water. The summerhouse had to serve for pleasure of the royal court. Ferdinand built it for his wife Anna.


Cernin Palace (Cerninsky palac)
Cernin Palace (Cerninsky palac)

Cernin Palace (Cerninsky palac)

Prague 1, Loretanske namesti 5, Hradcany

Earl Humprecht Jan Cernin let the Baroque palace rebuilt between years 1669 and 1682 according to design of Italian architect F. Caratti who was inspired by northern Italian Mannerism. The palace is sometimes open for public in summer only. At present it is a residence of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic.


Loreto (Loreta)
Loreto (Loreta)

Loreto (Loreta)

Prague 1, Loretanske namesti 7, Hradcany

In the first half of the 17th century the lords of Lobkovicz decided to build Loreto – a cloister complex that would involve a copy of Santa Casa, Mary's home in Nazareth. The visitors will be surely occupied with a wonderful peal made of 27 bells that plays every hour from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. An exhibition of precious liturgical articles is installed there, it includes also the outstanding “Prague Sun”, Viennese silver monstrance studded with 6222 diamonds.

 
Hotel 007 s.r.o., IC : 27622410, DIC : CZ27622410, Adresa: K Hutim 303/72, Praha 9 - Hloubetin, 198 00, Czech Republic